“The high priest then asked Jesus of his disciples, and of his doctrine. Jesus answered him, ‘I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing. Why askest thou me? ask them which heard me , what I have said unto them: behold, they know what I said .’ And when he had thus spoken , one of the officers which stood by struck Jesus with the palm of his hand, saying, ‘Answerest thou the high priest so?’ Jesus answered him, ‘If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou me?’
Now Annas had sent him bound unto Caiaphas the high priest. And Simon Peter stood and warmed himself. They said therefore unto him, ‘Art not thou also one of his disciples?’ He denied it, and said, ‘I am not.’ One of the servants of the high priest, being his kinsman whose ear Peter cut off , saith, ‘Did not I see thee in the garden with him?’ Peter then denied again: and immediately the cock crew.
Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the passover. Pilate then went out unto them, and said, ‘What accusation bring ye against this man?’ They answered and said unto him, ‘ If he were not a malefactor, we would not have delivered him up unto thee. ‘ Then said Pilate unto them, ‘Take ye him, and judge him according to your law.’ The Jews therefore said unto him, ‘It is not lawful for us to put any man to death’: That the saying of Jesus might be fulfilled, which he spake, signifying what death he should die.
Then Pilate entered into the judgment hall again, and called Jesus, and said unto him, ‘Art thou the King of the Jews? Jesus answered him, ‘Sayest thou this thing of thyself, or did others tell it thee of me?’ Pilate answered, ‘Am I a Jew? Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered thee unto me: what hast thou done?’ Jesus answered, ‘My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.’ Pilate therefore said unto him, ‘Art thou a king then?’ Jesus answered , ‘Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.’ Pilate saith unto him, ‘What is truth?‘
And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, ‘I find in him no fault at all. But ye have a custom, that I should release unto you one at the passover: will ye therefore that I release unto you the King of the Jews?’ Then cried they all again, saying, ‘Not this man, but Barabbas.’
Now Barabbas was a robber.”
What I learned from this passage, today:
- If Jesus was persecuted for speaking the truth, and He was perfect, why should I expect something different?
- The people who will be first to leave us hanging might just be the last people we would expect.
- Fighting is not the way to win anyone to Jesus. Baffle them with meekness.
- Most people’s eyes and hearts are blinded to the truth. They have no idea.
- Be careful of the customs of men. They are often contrary to the Word of God, and can have dangerous results — be discerning.
- The world loves a robber more than the Prince of Peace.
- No matter how much we love Him, all of us will deny Jesus at some point in our lives — look at Peter.
But, here’s the good news, and God’s grace…
Jesus already knew Peter was going to betray Him, forgave Peter ahead of time, and used Him in a mighty way in the kingdom, despite his shortcomings. Isn’t He just wonderful?
Be blessed everyone!
- John 18-19 (mybiblereadingplan.wordpress.com)
- John 18 – Betrayal and Arrest of Jesus (graceofourlord.com)
- The Story of Malchus (everyone has a story) (hersandmine.wordpress.com)
- Jesus In The Hands Of His Enemies (trinityspeaks.wordpress.com)